Friday, January 18, 2008

Missing Car Seat

As most of you know, when we flew back from Texas earlier this month, our car seat did not make the journey with us. After spending two weeks working with the airlines delayed/lost baggage department, I had all the paperwork filled out and ready to send in for a refund. The day I was going to put it in the mail I received a call. I was at Sam's Club and I didn't know the number, so I let it go to voice mail. When I listened to the message, this is what it said. "We think we found your car seat. It came in today on the flight from Dallas..." I confess my first thought was, "Crap, after two weeks it is probably in pretty bad shape, I would really just rather have a refund." I wasn't able to get ahold of the airline that day, but the next day they called back and I was able to speak with someone.

"We think we found your car seat."

"Ok, great."

"What does it look like?"

-I describe it to her.

"Yep, that is what we have here. Can we bring it out to you later today?"

"Sure, but I am in Lehi and won't be home for a while. Can you tell me what kind of condition it is in? I'm just a little worried it's been 'beaten up' while it's been floating around airports and airplanes."

"Actually I think it has just been sitting in Dallas. There wasn't a tag on it and they didn't know where to send it. Either way, it doesn't look damaged, or dirty."


After making arrangements for the delivery company to deliver it between 5-9 I thank her and wish her a great afternoon.

Later that night...
I get home around when they say they will bring it. I sit, and I sit. Normally you don't need to be there for a lost luggage delivery, but I had a loaner seat from the airline that I had to give back. 9 pm rolls around and I still hadn't seen or heard anything. "I'll give it a little longer, they are probably just running late." At 10:30 I still hadn't seen or heard anything, so I decided to call the airport.

"Hi, I was supposed to receive my car seat tonight. It's ok that it hasn't come, I just wanted to let you know (in case your records show something different.)"

"Hold on, let me talk to the guy. Yeah, he is still out delivering."

"Oh, so he is bringing it tonight still?"

"Yes ma'am, it will be there tonight"

"Ok, thanks. I'll just wait."

A little after midnight Marcus and I decided it must not be coming and they didn't want to call and tell us because it was late. So we got in bed and started watching a movie. Around 12:30 my phone rings with a strange number.


"Hi, Mrs. Cardon?"

"Yeah..." I'm very confused who would be calling me in the middle of the night and not think it is odd.

"Hi, I have your car seat and I'm just pulling into your complex. Cam you tell me where your unit is?

"Um, Ok..."

I tell him how to get to our apartment and we go into the front room to get the door.

After closely scrutinizing it I decided it looked just fine. Everything was there and working. Now scratches, dents, or dings. For good measure though, I did wash everything on it. No, I'm not obsessive, I'm thorough. :)

1 comment:

becca said...

No way! 12:30??? That beats my 9:30 p.m. UPS delivery that shocked me a few weeks ago. I'm so glad you got the car seat back, though!